Celebrating community service since 1967, Capitol Hill Group Ministry (CHGM) is a nonprofit made up of congregations and concerned individuals of all faiths, united to serve the spiritual and social needs of the Capitol Hill Community, Ward 6, and beyond. CHGM serves homeless families and individuals, as well as low-income households from across the District of Columbia.
CHGM is one of the DC area’s most cutting-edge, effective catalysts for change that helps homeless people and those at-risk of becoming homeless transform their own lives. CHGM is known for excellence at providing empowering human services, its highly effective organization, and engagement of our community as partners in its work.
Our vision is of a community in which people are working together – across the boundaries of race, religion and income – to ensure that all of our neighbors have the opportunity to live safely with opportunity and justice.
CHGM is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. We maintain a diverse funding stream comprised of individual donors, congregational support, government contracts, as well as a variety of donated gift-in-kind business services. All of our financial information including our 2011 Annual Report, 2010 990, and Program Statistics can be found by visiting our Organizational Information Page.
How do CHGM services impact the community?
Programs & Services
- Social Services office provided services to 3,777 households in Ward 6.
- Congregation Based Shelter Project provided emergency shelter services to 25 individuals.
- Street Outreach served 306 chronically homeless individuals through over 655 interactions.
- Shelter Plus Care provided services for 24 families , including 47 children.
- Systems Transformation Initiative served 37 families, including 69 children, until October, when it was replaced by our rapid rehousing program.
- The Shirley’s Place Day Center provided more than 4,100individual services to over 600 individuals.
Community Support Projects
- CHGM provided 296 children with backpacks and school supplies during our Back-To-School BackPack Program.
- CHGM served over 1,620 of our neighbors in our Thanks-GIVING Food Basket Drive.
- CHGM helped provide provide 828 individuals with Christmas gifts in our Adopt-A-Family Christmas Program.
- CHGM’s work was supported by the assistance of over 641 volunteers.